Thursday, October 23, 2014

Week 41! "Civil Unrest and Transfers"

From 10/20/14

Hola Family and Friends!!!
 
So many crazy and exciting events happened this week:
 
Last Monday was the scheduled transfers, but they were postponed because of unusual events happening in the state of Guerrero in our mission. Maybe you've heard of what's going on, but if not, don't worry about it! We are all fine in our mission. All of the missionaries in the state of Guerrero have been emergency evacuated from their areas. All 90+ missionaries there have been moved into empty apartments/empty rooms/spare mattresses in the stakes and wards in Cuernavaca....where I'm at.
 
I was with Hermana "H" for almost another complete week, and we picked up my "new" companion on Wednesday. My companion is HERMANA "C"!!!! AHHHHH!!!! We used to serve in the same ward. This was my last area and while I served with Hermana "N", she served with Hermana "M".
 
We are so excited to be together and it was SO exciting to see her at the bus terminal! She thought I was there by coincidence to wait for another missionary...she didn't know that I knew that we were a new companionship. So that was kind of fun! :) We actually were a trio for a couple of days.
 
We were informed that Hermana H was going to be transferred, but for her security, they could not disclose when or where she would be transferred. Not even the day she would go. We decided to work like normal on Thursday, then we got a phone call from the mission president's assistants at about 6 in the evening. They told us to take Hermana H immediately to the bus station because she was going to leave in 30 minutes to her new area. JUST like that. Boom. We didn't even have time to be sad about saying goodbye.
 
Wellll......we finally got to the bus station with all her luggage, and saw some friendly faces of other missionaries who helped us with her luggage and to buy a ticket to her new area. When LO AND BEHOLD..... I see Hermana "P"!!!!!! My trainer!!!!!! It was the sweetest feeling! It felt like seeing one of you at home. She's always reminded me of Amy, so it felt like I was coming home in a way.  She said that I looked grown up. haha. I guess she really does feel like a 'mom' to me.
 
It was all a whirlwind in saying goodbye to Hermana H, and then we were off. (I felt like a ninja all that night..haha). We then went to the offices of the mission where all the missionaries from Guerrero were waiting to be reassigned to an area. In the offices, I saw Hermana "C"!!!! :') Ahhh so many happy moments.
 
We were given instructions to take a companionship back to our house where they would be staying with us for an undisclosed amount of time. It is SO COOL!!!! The next day, we randomly found Elders working in our area too. There are 6 of us!!! What's fun is that a week before transfers, I had a dream where 6 elders arrived in the area. They were all new in the dream and one companionship commented, 'okay, someone has to go. There is not enough work for all six of us to be here'.. so... haha. It came to pass!
 
I have about 6 weeks here in the area, so I still feel pretty new too. But Hermana C is "the BOSS" [that means super cool and highly capable], so she has already learned so much of the area and the members.
 
She has an incredible testimony. But really!! I have met very very very few people that can teach so well as she does. It's a huge blessing to be in a companionship together. I'm already learning so much. And it's all a lot of fun.
 
Sorry if this is a little bit rambled. There are so many things that went on this week I don't even know where to begin! It was a huge blessing to be able to see so many missionaries that we've gotten to know throughout the mission. It's strengthening and exciting to see how missionaries have developed, grown, and strengthened their testimonies.
 
We are all doing well here. There is a LOT of work to do. And now we have a LOT more help to get it done. President Kusch mentioned to us that the brethren of the church in Salt Lake City are monitoring the situation of our mission to see what changes and growth we see in the mission from having this unusual and drastic change.
 
"Another wonderful week! We are SO happy here. I can't believe I'm companions with Hermana C!!! These past few days have been surreal! Just about every night, we comment on how it feels like we are on temporary divisions and that in a couple of days we'll get a phone call saying, 'okay, just kidding, you two can go to different areas now' :)
 
We are having a wonderful time working with the missionaries from Guerrero. Hermanas G and S went to work immediately and have helped many investigators progress well. My companion and I have asked them to work in an area where it has been untouched by missionaries for some time, and they are already finding a few interested families.
 
The same morning that we went to work in our temporarily divided area, we ran into Elders V and C. They are serious troopers! We did not know that they would be in our area as well. If we hadn't run into them, I don't think we would have known that they were here. The Elders went to work right away, without knowing members, investigators, or the area. We were both REALLY impressed with their attitude and diligence. They have not complained once about being here. They are currently working on assignments from our branch president to work with members, less actives and to find new investigators through their own efforts.
 
So, you can say that we are blessed. This change is what we have been praying for for this branch and the members. The members needed to feel excited about missionary work again. For the members to see 6 missionaries in Sacrament meeting made a huge difference. They are aware that it is a temporary change but that makes them more appreciative to have the other companionships here. Our little branch has members who are ready to reactivate and investigators who are progressing to baptism. The work is beginning to roll.
 
These past few weeks have been special because I think I've been praying with more sincerity. It's the first time in my mission that my companion and I pray for a specific blessing we need, and that prayer is answered directly and recognizably--sometimes even immediately. I need to pray in faith and work in faith. The Lord wants us to progress, He wants these areas to progress, He wants us to find, teach, retain, rescue and hasten this work. He wants us to have miracles. But WE have to ask, WE have to work diligently. We have to have faith and exercise our agency with that faith.
 
'And that he manifesteth himself unto all those who believe in him, by the power of the Holy Ghost; yea, unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, working mighty miracles, signs, and wonders, among the children of men according to their faith.'
 
D&C 10:47, 52 : 'And I said unto them, that it should be granted unto them according to their faith in their prayers; And now, behold, according to their faith in their prayers will I bring this part of my gospel to the knowledge of my people. Behold, I do not bring it to destroy that which they have received, but to build it up.'
 
This work is true and I'm grateful to be a missionary. I love that there is a lot of work to do to build up Zion here. We are excited for another week here in this area."
 
The investigators that we are working with are SUPER awesome!! They are progressing! They know that the church is true. It is so amazing to watch them grow. They are progressing towards baptism. We are also teaching a few investigators that are beginning to progress. Some are new, others were are just beginning to teach. 
 
"R" came to church on Sunday! His wife would have come, but some unexpected things took place so she couldn't go, but she sent her husband. "L" didn't go, but we were so sure that we would see her there. In the afternoon on Sunday we passed by her house. She said that she and her husband were both ready to come, but then some unexpected visits came by too, just like "P", so they couldn't come. "L" and her family also couldn't come last week because their bedroom caught on fire.
 
I think that there is a common theme here with the progressing investigators. There are unplanned, uncontrollable situations that arise that kept them from coming. We were able to see these individuals grow in their faith this week. That's everything to us! We are happy, we are working. Life is good. :)
 
Hope each one of you have a wonderful week. I know that the Lord loves us. I have a testimony of the power of prayer. I feel much more calm and assured when I talk to Heavenly Father sincerely.
 
LOVE YOU ALL!!!
 
Con Amor,
 
Hermana Fernelius

No comments:

Post a Comment