Thursday, October 9, 2014

Week 39! "Lupita (Our Giant Pet Moth)"

From 10/6/14

Hola Family and Friends,

This week waaas something special. I don't have much to say, but here is the weekly letter!!

"We had a good week! This has been another week of appreciating little daily blessings. For example, Hermana H and I made of list of old investigators and contacts that we planned to revisit and teach, many of whom we do not know. On the way, we contacted a man named 'B', and actually he was the man that we were on the way to see!

We also revisited a couple that we contacted two weeks ago. They were not home the day we had originally set our appointment, so we arrived unexpected at their home again, hoping to find them there.

Friday we found no one home. It was another day when every single appointment and back up was not home. Neither were old investigators or the members that we went to see. It felt a little strange! It was like the Colonia was on vacation, or sick, or out shopping at the same time. It was difficult. It felt like we were doing something wrong or wasting the day. It was a little discouraging.

At about 5:30 pm, we decided to recontact a couple that we met two weeks ago. The day we had scheduled an appointment with them, they were not there. So we went to their home in a part of our area a little out of the way, in the mud and rain. All day the only thing I kept saying to myself is, everything’s going wrong… that must mean something good is about to happen!! And it was that way truly.

We found 'P' in her home. She received us into her home and we began to get to know her. She is someone special!! It was like teaching an active member of the church. When we invited her to be baptized, she said, 'but I already am. Does that mean that my baptism was invalid?'

We explained the priesthood, then she said, 'I guess I should be baptized again then.'

She told us that she knew baptism is sacred and a promise made with God. Her husband had just come home when we said the final prayer. He came in and talked about how he wants to learn more of the principles and ordinances of the gospel. He actually used those words too. It was interesting to hear him use terms that normally only members know.

They committed to watch General Conference on their computers the past weekend. They really surprised us of how prepared they are to receive the gospel and make covenants with our Heavenly Father. I am grateful for that experience and that we will begin teaching them this week.

We are doing the best we can in this area. I know there is much improvement to be done personally, but that as we trust in the Lord, He will direct our paths. :)"

Con Amor,

Hermana Fernelius

Other fun tidbits... One night as my companion was reporting our daily datos to our District Leader, I was busy making pancakes which are called hotcakes here. He asked my companion if I would come over to listen to the phone call too because he asks us about the area and it requires participation from the two of us. I told him no (hahaha) because I was supremely busy and could not be interrupted. "what are you doing?" Makin hotcakes. haha. Since that night my first week here and ever since, I have been called Hermana Hotcakes.

Also, there have been about 4 witnesses that say that I look like Lea Michelle from Glee. And yes, I find that offensive. I get called that on the daily.

I have a photo of the wedding of mom and dad on my planner. Everyone comments on it. The members and my companion say that dad looks like brad pitt (not true) in the photo and that now he looks like Bruce Willis. Lol.

Turns out that Tiffany and I have the same experiences at the same time in our mission. If you could read our conversation from today. It was great. There are way too many things in common!

Love you all have a great week!!


Meet Lupita our giant pet moth. She appeared in our apartment and we named her Virgencita de Guadalupe, but for short Lupita. She is muy enojona. She attacked me actually. haha

Outside of our casa de oracion after limpieza

AND one for fun!

Favorite Pastime: Eating


We made fun of mannequins today. We were really bored and these fascinated us. 


We also found this really awesome slug in the street. Feast your eyes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment