Thursday, July 24, 2014

Week 17! "Jump Started With Prayer"

From 5/5/14
 
Hola Family and Friends,

Today is Cinco de Mayo but they don't actually celebrate that here. :( It's a holiday for the Mexican state of Puebla. So that's cool. What they DO have is kid's day. You know how we have mother's day, father's day and other days, well here, they celebrate children and give them fun things. Can we make that a thing in the US? :) It was really fun to see carnivals and clowns and cute things around our area for the kids on Wednesday. 

We got a ride to church yesterday from an investigator, "A". It's a really super cool story. We actually went to pick up a different investigator but she's lame and bailed on us so we called someone else to go pick them up. We really felt like we should call "A" and pass by her house. She answered the phone and offered to give us a ride instead.
 
We booked it to her apartment because we were running short on time. We met up with them, jumped into their car annnnddddd.....it's didn't start up. She tried and tried and tried to get it started and nothing. At this point she was actually shaking because she stressed herself out about the time. I told her not to worry because we could get a taxi but she was so stressed out and said no. Hermana C said, we should say a prayer and then it will start up. "A" said sure, sure go ahead and say a prayer. And she kept starting up the car. We didn't start praying just then because she was distracted. Hermana C asked again, and "A" let out a sigh and agreed.
 
Hermana C offered a very simple, short yet powerful prayer. We both had no doubts that the car would work right after. When we said AMEN, Hermana C said, I know the car will start up now. Then "A" put the key in the ignition and the engine started up perfectly without the hint of a problem. "A" was so stunned that it worked.
 
She later told us how much that strengthened her testimony of prayer. Heavenly Father really answers when we have faith. She said, maybe getting the car to start wasn't even all that important, but having the faith that a prayer would be answered was. IT WAS SO COOL. Hermana C just about cried in the car. I felt so much love from Heavenly Father in something that would otherwise seem so insignificant, but it strengthened me greatly!  :)

"We are doing really well! This week was a great testimony builder for me of fasting and prayers. I know that our Heavenly Father hears us when we pray and that He knows exactly what we need. His responses to our prayers might be different than what we might expect but it's always just what we need and what will help us grow!
 
The week started and ended with little miracles. Hermana C and I fasted on Monday for a few reasons and one of them was that Hna C might receive letters and a package from her family that had been delayed for weeks and weeks. The next day of our fast at district meeting, Hna C and I both saw a cute pink leopard package. :) Her package finally arrived the very day we prayed that it would. As we were walking out of district meeting, Elder V handed her a handful of letters from her family. We were both SO happy that our prayers had been answered perfectly. I felt so strongly that Heavenly Father is aware of exactly what we need and that He helps as we ask Him for it. I felt so much love from my Heavenly Father. 

I was also so amazed this week of how much He's guided and strengthened us. Every day, I felt a lot of peace and happiness and I felt like we handled stressful situations so much better! I feel so much love for this area. In a way, I feel like I'm home. The members and investigators too feel like family to me. So many people here take good care of us--members or not. It's through them that I have also felt the love of my Heavenly Father so much this week and that's helped me teach and testify with more love to those we visit. 

Missionary work is so amazing. I love seeing people progress and seeing the light of the gospel brighten their lives and those around them too. There is a light and a recognition in many individuals when they hear the message of the gospel. It registers with them. It's familiar to their spirit. And it's incredible to see.
 
One example, a mom and her son contacted us this week in the street (I love when that happens! :)) and they weren't even sure who we really were! They asked if we preach about God and if they could have more information about our religion. We took down their information and invited 'Aa' and her son 'J' to church the next Sunday. They said they would try to come. We came to find out that they do not live in our area but we passed their reference to the sisters in their area.
 
Yesterday at church, 'J' (20 years old) and his mom came to our ward sacrament meeting!! Hermana C and I were so surprised. They came to the wrong ward, but they CAME! The ward tried to welcome them and make them feel comfortable so Aa decided to stay for the 2nd hour, and J stayed for all three hours. :) At the end of church he said he really liked it! He said was a little hesitant to come to church that morning but he really wanted to come anyway and was glad he did. We introduced him to the sister missionaries in his area and we handed him off to them.
 
He has so much potential and we hope he continues progressing! I know that the Spirit was really working in him to help him have the desire to come to church, even though he was nervous and hesitant at first. The Lord knows exactly when people are ready. :) 

So so many miracles this week. And the greatest? This week it was seeing how much Heavenly Father really loves us and how the Lord of the vineyard labors with His servants.  One of my favorite missionary scriptures is in Jacob chapter 5 vs 71 & 72. It says:
 
'And the Lord of the vineyard said unto them: Go to, and labor in the vineyard, with your might. For behold, this is the last time that I shall nourish my vineyard; for the end is nigh at hand, and the season speedily cometh; and if ye labor with your might with me ye shall have joy in the fruit which I shall lay up unto myself against the time which will soon come. And it came to pass that the servants did go and labor with their mights; and the Lord of the vineyard labored also with them; and they did obey the commandments of the Lord of the vineyard in all things.'
 
The servants labored with all their mights and their Master labored with them. I know that is true. I really felt that this week! I know the gospel is true and I know that it changes lives because it has changed & is changing my own. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve and I know that the fruits of the vineyard are ripe or that the field is white already to harvest! :)"

I LOVE YOU ALL! The church is true! Be strong and have a great week!!!! Take care of the missionaries and the investigators, less actives and members (ahem, everyone). Give the missionaries (GOOD) food, and (GOOD) references. Say family prayers everyday and read the scriptures every night. Try to have a family home evening tonight and count the blessings you have all seen during the week. 

I will write again in a little bit! Bye :)

Con Amor,
 
Hermana Fernelius

No comments:

Post a Comment