Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Last Week at the MTC! "My Last DAY!"

From 1/6/14

Hi family & friends! This is going to be a pretty quick note. I was just told two hours ago that I am leaving tomorrow afternoon at 12:30 p.m. for my mission!!!! :D AHHHHHH!!!! Not much notice, so I don't really have a lot of time for my P-Day right now. I'm flying to Dallas to get my visa & from there I am going to Mexico City & mi presidente is going to pick me up from there!!!!!

President was not expecting me until February 3rd, so I thought I would be temporarily reassigned to another mission in the states until I got my visa, but huge change of plans! I am almost done packing and I still have a few things left to do.

Tiffy got here safe and sound! She is beautiful and I missed her. The funny thing is that my whole Zone was more excited to meet the 'adopted' Sister Fernelius than I thought they were and they ALL got to see her before me. Our schedules didn't line up on Wednesday so I didn't get to see her until like 8:00 PM.  But it was so special to see her. I honestly haven't spent more than 10 minutes with her at a time. We just never talk to each other or have time together. It's almost like we are back home though. It's really comfortable and fun. I love seeing her.

Heavenly Father is so kind to me! I have felt His love everyday and it's so special to be here and to have had all these amazing experiences.  In all truth, I have felt Heaven on Earth since I have been here at the MTC and I know that is so much in part to your prayers. I feel angels here. They walk with us and watch over us here. We know that they walk with our families. I can't describe the peace I feel in my heart when I think about my family and friends. I know that God is caring for you in the palm of his hands. I love you all.

One story: Sundays the MTC Presidency holds a Departure Devotional for all missionaries leaving that week. This Sunday I attended because I didn't know when I would be leaving and I am so glad that I went. The MTC President Nally spoke and then invited two missionaries to share their testimonies. After one sister bore her testimony, Pres. Nally called on another elder.

A tall, strong Samoan elder going to serve a Spanish speaking mission in a few days. He was asked to speak about his feelings on the sanctity and preciousness of life both on this side of the veil and the other. It was a very specific topic but I was not prepared for what the elder was going to say next. This elder said his mom passed away on December 27th 2013.  About 8 days before. He said that was the hardest week of his life that he had to endure. He was here at the MTC when the President called him to tell him the news of his mother's passing. When he heard the news he just kept saying over and over no, no, no, it can't be...

But he knew that he had to stay. He knew that he would see his mom again. That there are others in the world that don't have that faith that families can be eternal and that don't have that hope. What struck me the most was the strength of this elder's testimony. He didn't cry. He was resilient and had a quiet, dignified peace about him. He said, "I know my mom is here with me. And she is saying, That's my son!". He also pictures her saying "Go to work, Elder. Go to work, MTC!!" What I think is so beautiful is the confidence and faith that he had. His mom is teaching the gospel there and he is laboring here. How beautiful and powerful is that?

The Spirit was so strong as he testified that he really will see his mom again one day because of the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. It is through Him that we can be together and happy now and forever. And you know what else? He decided to stay and serve because this church is true! It teaches the Plan of Salvation and the Doctrines of Jesus Christ that enables us to repent, to change, to become more like Him and return to live with Him one day again.

So I guess that's all this week.  Just know that I love you all. Be safe &... Mom and Dad, I will call tomorrow!!! :)))))

LOVE, <3
 
Hermana Fernelius

Tiffany's companion took this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment